Tandy Hard

Friday, June 12, 2009

So tired

So this teachers camp was so exhausting.
Subatomic particle Physics, the Engineering of a Nuclear power plant, radiation calculations on log-based formats.

Yucca Mountain bad info denounced (debaters-we were wrong-oops!)

I now have my own Gieger-Mueller counter though, as well as my own costume of radiation protection gear. (including dosimeters)

It was also a good introduction back into the academic community, both good an bad. First, I was one of the few science teachers who could handle the cold fusion lecture (it's real! and it's exciting!)
But I went to a wine and cheese party and had a conversation with the typical arrogant professor. Wrapped up in his own smartness, he has difficultly accepting others well reasoned opinions. He also told me (knowing that I was from Truman) that he suggests sending his weaker students to Truman because they need that one on one attention more to be successful, and that Mizzou was full of "go getters". Please. Every profession has their assholes and he is a prime example. Oh well. I think I gave him a few things to think about if he so chooses. Turd Muffin.

Trip high lights:
I got to see Cerenkoff radiation- the blue glow that reactors give off
I got to see inside Calloway nuclear power plant
I ate ate a few good places in Colombia-- (not near enough free time though)
Science teachers can handle their alcohol surprisingly well ;)
TONS more information in my brain about THE most important power source in the 21st century

This all resulted in me going to bed at 12:00am and getting up at 6:30am each day.
And I have two evenings at home before I go to Kansas city and do the whole thing over again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home